Highgate progress in Polymac Packaging League Cup - The Solihull Observer
Online Editions

9th Aug, 2022

Highgate progress in Polymac Packaging League Cup

Solihull Editorial 4th Nov, 2015 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016

HIGHGATE were taken all the way by Bromsgrove Sporting but eventually progressed in the Polymac Packaging League Cup 5-3 after extra-time.

Highgate overcame a tough hurdle in beating Bromsgrove Sporting on Tuesday evening after finding themselves sharing four goals at the end of full time.

Lei Brown’s tenth minute goal was cancelled out five minutes later by Reece Hewitt and second half goals from Shane Benjamin for Gate and a late Ethan Hanks equaliser sent the game into extra time.

A Brown penalty and two more for Benjamin to complete his hat trick put the hosts in control and although Josh McKenzie reduced the deficit his shot proved to be the last kick of the game.

It capped off a fine week for Gate who also progressed through to the next stage of the FA Vase after beating Radcliffe Olympic 3-1 in the first round proper on Saturday.

Brown and Benjamin were both on target again with Brown this time bagging a brace and his team mate also got on the scoresheet 15 minutes from time.

Ryan Smith wasted a great chance to put his side ahead but Catlow was alert to make the save while at the other end Benjamin shot into the side-netting.

Brown then scored the opening goal on 13 minutes when he got on the end of Trevor Edwards’ long pass and rounded the keeper before applying the easiest of finishes.

Gate enjoyed the majority of possession in the first half and should have added to their lead when first Dale Taylor had a goal-bound effort blocked and Mooney shot wide from 12 yards out.

At the other end Smith was not far away from an equaliser with a header but Gate went into the break with the cushion of a two-goal lead when Brown beat the offside trap and shot past Dunne into the bottom left-hand corner of the net.

Radcliffe came out for the second half in far more positive fashion with Liam Smallwood hitting an early attempt into Catlow’s gloves and the Highgate keeper stood his ground to deny Smith in a one-on-one.

Sloppy defending led to the visitors scoring on 55 minutes with Jack Smith running through unchallenged to reduce the lead with a low crisp drive.

Catlow was forced into a full length save to turn Ryan Smith’s powerfully struck shot aside but Benjamin scored a third and final goal 14 minutes from time to end the contest.

This Saturday Highgate are next in action when they hosts Shepshed Dynamo (3pm).

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Solihull Observer.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Solihull Observer to boost your online presence.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.