Hi: 11° Lo:1°
By Chris Willmott Thursday 10 January 2013 Updated: 14/01 15:06
BIRMINGHAM Airport's runway extension will see winners and losers in the surrounding rural villages - The Observer can reveal.
The airport is tomorrow (Friday) embarking on a three-month consultation period to gauge public opinion on revised flight paths which will be created by the extension.
Rural villages to the south of the airport stand to be most affected by the changes - some for the better and some for the worst.
While the new flightpath will see aircraft fly further away from Catherine-de-Barnes, Eastcote, Knowle and Meriden it will push them closer to some parts of Hampton in Arden, Barston and Balsall Common.
Communities to the north of the site will meanwhile benefit from reduced noise pollution.
To give local people an opportunity to find out more about the proposed airspace changes the airport is holding a series of roadshows in Catherine-de-Barnes, Barston, Eastcote, Meriden, Berkswell, Hampton-in-Arden, Marston Green, Bickenhill, Balsall Common, Knowle and Sheldon in the coming weeks.
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) will make a decision whether or not to approve the new routes once the results of the consultation, together with the airport’s proposals, have been considered.
Speaking ahead of the consultation process John Morris, the Airport’s Public Affairs Director, attempted to calm residents' fears over the impact of noise in their communities created by the change in flight paths and announced the airport's decision to reduce its 3km noise corridor down to 2km.
He said: “Aircraft will be able to fly more precisely on the centre line of a flight path which means that we no longer need such a wide noise corridor.
"By narrowing the corridor in which aircraft fly, and as more airlines introduce newer aircraft installed with the latest navigational aids, even fewer communities could be over-flown in the future.”
He added: “We take the concerns and views of all of our stakeholders very seriously and encourage our neighbours to come along to our roadshows to find out how these changes may impact them.”
* Make sure you read next week's Observer for all the reaction from the communities most affected by the runway extension and to have your say on the proposals write to or e-mail the editor at the usual addresses.
Full details of the proposals and the roadshows can be accessed via the Airport’s website www.birminghamairport.co.uk/airspace or obtained by calling 0121 767 7433.
The times, dates and venues of the roadshows are:
* Catherine-de-Barnes - Village Hall: Monday, January 14 from 10am until 12noon and Friday, February 8 from 7pm until 9pm.
* Barston and Eastcote – Barston Memorial Institute: Thursday, January 17 from 10am until 12noon and Monday, February 4 from 7pm until 9pm.
* Meriden - Meriden Village Hall: Friday, January 18 from 10am until 12noon and Wednesday, February 6 from 7pm until 9pm.
* Berkswell - The Reading Room: Tuesday, January 15 from 2pm until 4pm and Wednesday, January 30 from 7pm until 9pm.
* Hampton in Arden - Fentham Hall: Monday, January 14 from 7pm until 9pm and Friday, February 8 from 10am until 12noon.
* Marston Green - Marston Green Parish Hall: Tuesday, January 15 from 7pm until 9pm and Tuesday, February 5 from 10am until 12noon.
* Bickenhill - St. Peters Bickenhill Church Hall: Wednesday, January 16 from 7pm until 9pm and Monday, February 4 from 10am until 12noon.
* Balsall Common – Balsall Common Village Hall: Thursday, January 17 from 7pm until 9pm and Wednesday, February 6 from 2pm until 4pm.
* Knowle - Knowle Village Hall: Monday, January 21 from 10am until 12noon and Monday, January 28 from 7pm until 9pm.
* Sheldon – Mapledean Primary School: Friday, January 18 from 7pm until 9pm and Thursday, February 7 from 10am until 12noon.
HMV is set to appoint administrators after poor
THE BOROUGH was transformed into a winter wonderland
HUNDREDS of jobs are to be created at
As the rain gives way to ice and
IT is understood Geoffrey Robinson is set to stand down ...
THE DRIVER of a coach which crashed in France and ...
A MAN has been arrested in connection with a rape ...
MAJOR improvements are on track for Stratford’s town rail station. ...