Alderbrook is fined over pupil's injuries

By Laura Payne Thursday 15 November 2012 Updated: 22/11 09:59

A SECONDARY school has been fined thousands of pounds after a pupil suffered serious hand injuries during a lesson.

The 11-year-old's hand became trapped when he was using a bench sanding machine while in a design and technology lesson at Alderbrook School.

The boy had to have specialist surgery to repair tendon damage to the fingers of his left hand and he was off school for several weeks following the incident on October 6 last year.

He has had physio but still suffers pain in cold weather and does not have full movement in his fingers.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) carried out an investigation and found that although the machine had guarding in place, it was designed for use by adults which meant the gap between the disc face and table edge was big enough to trap a student's hand.

Solihull Magistrates' Court was told last week the school had made no attempt to adapt the machine to make it safe for students.

The school was fined £3,500 and ordered to pay £5,000 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching the health and safety at work act and for failing to ensure pupil safety.

Karl Raw, a HSE inspector, said: "Health and safety management for design and technology within Alderbrook School was not of the expected standard.

"Guidance was out of date, risk assessments were generic and concerns raised in a 2010 audit by Solihull Council relating to this had not been addressed.

"This prosecution is not about schools abandoning or being stopped from allowing pupils to use machines.

"It is about sensible assessment of risk given the age and maturity of school pupils."

Popular »

1 Fear after another attempted abduction

2 Top Award for Troop Aid

3 Tributes flood in to Chris Macrow - co-founder of Solihull Theatre Company

4 Kite Runner at The Rep Birmingham

More news »

Tributes paid to campaigning farmer

TRIBUTES have poured in for Hockley Heath farmer

Lorry crash prompts call for action

A WOMAN whose house was badly damaged when

Comet store closes

WORKERS at Comet have been dealt a festive

Beautiful orchids brighten up the winter

THE HALLS of Arden School were filled with

Regional news »


Coventry Observer
Awards for brave brothers who confronted robber

SELFLESS brothers who confronted a robber and gave evidence in ...

Redditch Standard
Birmingham hospital closes doors to county patients

A BIRMINGHAM hospital is refusing to treat patients from Worcestershire ...

Leamington Observer
Family fundraising for Cubbington toddler with leukaemia

THE FAMILY of a toddler suffering from Leukaemia have given ...

Stratford Observer
Leukaemia mum tells of battle for 'miracle' children

A LEUKAEMIA survivor who delayed treatment to start a family ...