Comet store remains open despite administration

By Laura Payne Monday 05 November 2012 Updated: 15/11 10:21

THE under threat hight street chain Comet will remain open despite the company being in administration.

The store at Sears Retail Park is one of 236 stores nationwide which has been taken over by administrators Deloitte.

They have temporarily suspended the use of gift cards while they assess the situation, but Deloitte said all stores will remain open and all 6,600 staff will be paid.

The collapse of Comet is one of the biggest high street casualties since the demise of Woolworths in 2008 and follows on from the loss of JJB Sports last month.

Neville Kahn, joint administrator at Deloitte, said: "Our immediate priorities are to stabilise the business, fully assess its financial position, and begin an urgent process to seek a suitable buyer which would also preserve jobs.

"In the meantime, all stores will continue to trade and all employees will continue to be paid.

"We appreciate the co-operation and support from the management, staff, customers, landlords and suppliers at what is clearly a very difficult time."

Deloitte said Comet had been hit by weak high street trading conditions, competition from online rivals and being unable to secure the trade credit insurance needed to safeguard suppliers.

"The inability to obtain supplier credit for the peak Christmas trading period means that the company had no realistic prospect of raising further capital to build up sufficient stock to allow it to continue trading," added Mr Kahn.

Popular »

1 Mother represented by max Clifford slams shamed former PR guru

2 Council to look again at Gateway Project

3 Historic touchdown a runway success

4 Breakthrough Breast Cancer banks 50,000 from Hunters

5 Fast food decision sparks outrage

More news »

Comet store to close

THE under-threat Comet store will close its doors

Beautiful orchids brighten up the winter

THE HALLS of Arden School were filled with

Protesters vent train fares anger

DISGRUNTLED rail passengers gathered outside Solihull Station to

Garden is a dream come true

WATCHING their children play safely in the garden

Regional news »


Coventry Observer
Prince thanks us for war memorial campaign support

PRINCE William has spoken of the “unique and highly trusted ...

Redditch Standard
Manslaughter sentencing postponed for baby funeral

THE SENTENCING of a man who admitted to killing his ...

Leamington Observer
New council homes considered for Warwick district

COUNCIL houses could be built again in a bid to ...

Stratford Observer
Stratford on Avon coffee shop crash accused found guilty

A FORMER Warwickshire Magistrate has escaped jail after his car ...